Cinnamon sugar donuts in the form of a muffin! Really, these taste just like cinnamon cake donuts drizzled with vanilla glaze! While they are not calorie free they are low in fat, but are in no way lacking in flavor. Perfect in the early morning with your favorite cup of steaming coffee, in the afternoon with a nice cup of tea, an after dinner treat or a late night snack. Perfection anytime!
- 1/4 cup butter; softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup mini cinnamon chips, optional
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons Cinnamon-Sugar Plus or cinnamon sugarVanilla Glaze
- 3 tablespoons butter; melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating to combine.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
- Stir flour into butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined,
- Stir in cinnamon chips, if using.
- Spoon the batter evenly into t.he prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full. I use a large ice cream scoop for uniformity
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until pale golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove them from oven, and let cool for approximately 10 minutes, or until you can handle them.
- While they’re cooling, melt the butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave).
- Dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter and then roll in the cinnamon-sugar.
- Allow to cool completely before applying glaze—dipping, drizzling or swirling.
- Serve warm, or cool on a rack. They will keep for about 2 days stored in an airtight container.
- Yield: 12 muffins.