On this day, April 22nd we demonstrate our support and protection of our beloved Mother Nature.
Earth Day is an annual event celebrated worldwide and global actions are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network and celebrated in more than 192 countries each year.
Here’s a delicious recipe packed with support for our “Mother.” Most all ingredients are blessings of her beautiful bounty; Compliments fresh from the soil of her earthy gifts to her beloved “down-to-earth” children. Thanks, Mom ♥♥♥
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup cashews, chopped course
- 2 cups regular or reduced-fat cheddar cheeseDirections:
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a 3-quart baking dish combine broth, rice, 1 cup of onion, soy sauce, butter, thyme and allspice, if using.
- Cover and bake 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet saute veggies, garlic, and remaining onion in oil until tender about 5-7 minutes. Spoon over rice mixture.
- Top with sliced tomatoes
- Cover and bake 10 additional minutes. Sprinkle with cashews and cheese.
- Serve after cheese melts or broil a few minutes under broiler.