If I had a single flower for every time I think about you,
I could walk forever in my garden
Baked, rich, flavorful and full of love—this delectable French toast is a must-have for Valentine breakfast or brunch. Extremely delicious and the best part is that you can have it in the refrigerator marinating overnight ready to bake in the morning. The most lovely, romantic, Valentine culinary accouterments.
PRINT (Scroll Down to Print & PDF)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Grand Marnier
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp mace (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until well blended, stirring frequently.
- Pour syrup into a 9×13″ baking dish, tilting the dish to cover.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer over the syrup. Push the bread pieces in so that they all fit.
- Whisk half and half, eggs, vanilla, liqueur, nutmeg and salt in bowl until well blended.
- Pour over the bread layer.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 * Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand until room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and puffed. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and or syrup, if desired.
*Grand Marnier (a liqueur) can be substituted with orange juice.
*Garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. ~Ah, Amore, Lana