I know of no way to end a perfect Thai meal than with this conventional sweet rice cascading with a healthy fringe of ripe, sweet, juicy mango. Don’t forgot to save a bit of the sweet coconut milk to drizzle over the top of it all…Amazing ending, indeed.
- 2 cups long-grain white sticky rice, sweet rice or glutinous rice
- 2 cups or 1 can coconut milk, whole
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: a few drops of jasmine (mali) essence
1-2 ripe mangoes, peeled and slicedDirections
Rinse the sticky rice once or twice, cover with tap water 2-3 inches and soak for four hours (or overnight) IMPORTANT Step! The rice will absorb much of the water and grow in size. It will also soften such that the grains will easily break if pressed between the fingers.
- Drain the rice and pour it into the bamboo basket or rice/vegetable steamer. Place the bamboo basket or rack (if you are using a rice streamer) to steam over 2-3 inches of water in the metal pot. Cover the top of the bamboo basket and steam for 40-45 minutes, until rice is thoroughly cooked and, well, sticky.
- While the rice is steaming, make the coconut sauce: heat the can of coconut milk with sugar and salt and stir until the grains have all dissolved.
- Once the rice is finished remove from the basket into a bowl and stir in half of the coconut mixture, mixing well to combine. Slice the mango and serve with the rice, drizzling more of the coconut sauce over the rice before serving. Serves 4