Here’s a sweet, moist and tender cornbread to go alongside yesterday’s Pony Express Cowboy Beans! In my opinion, few things pair better with a large, steaming bowl of chili (or beans) than cornbread!
Today’s delicious offering is from our friend Suzie who gathered it from her Grandmother who collected it from “her” Grandmother– it’s that memorable and delicious! With buttermilk and a few simple ingredients hiding in your kitchen, the end result will be sweet, moist, yellow bread packed with corn flavor; offering impeccable texture as well.
Piled high with sweat cream butter or drizzled with honey, these soft, scrumptious triangles (or squares) of maize may likely become one of your favorites. You may love it so much that you will find yourself handing down this sweet secret to your loved ones as well.
Thanks, Suzie & the Grandmas!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small can creamed corn
- 1 cup cornmeal, yellow or white
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375* Grease an 8″ square baking pan or 10″cast iron skillet.
- Melt butter and pour into a large heatproof bowl then stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended
- Stir in creamed corn.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda in a measuring cup then stir into mixture in bowl.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and a few lumps remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.