It’s Breakfast Week! Does your busy schedule keep you from making hearty breakfasts? This scrumptious four-part feast will fit its way into your evening repertoire in a flash! Today’s recipe is for “Cottage Style Hash Browns” and the remaining trio can be whipped up while the potatoes are sauteing in the skillet. Talk about satisfying! Hash browns also make a great side dish for other evening meals. Remember Mom & Dad talking about “meat & potatoes” this is what they meant
- 2 pounds red, Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion; sliced thin
- 2 glove garlic; minced
- 1 small green pepper; sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon of both onion and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until firm, but fork tender.
- Place into a bath of ice water; cool for 10 minutes or refrigerate until time to use. The peel can be removed easily after the ice bath.
- Grate potatoes with a box grater.
- Saute remaining veggies in oil and butter until onions are slightly translucent about 5-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes and spices; saute on medium heat until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn and brown the other side.
Makes 2 large servings or 4 small.