Are you a fan of the Mediterranean sea? Food that is! Today’s gorgeous offering, by talented self-taught Chef and honorary Sicilian Bret Clark, is a stunning display of culinary, ocean treasures of which Poseidon would enthusiastically approve.
This buttery Mediterranean sea presentation is paired with simple, yet extremely flavorful, garlicky Pasta Aglio Olio and the appropriately named “Killer Marinated Tomatoes.” Remember the crusty bread so you can sop up every delicious savory bite!
Simple, luscious and beautiful!
Molto Grazia for another winning combination, Bret!!
Fresh Clams & Mussels
- 2-3 Dozen Fresh Clams (depending on size)
- 2 Dozen Fresh Mussels
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 4-5 Sliced Garlic Cloves
- ½ Cup White Wine
- 2-3 Lemons – Quartered
Pasta Aglio & Olio
- 1 Package Spaghetti; your choice of style
- ½ Stick Butter
- ¼-1/2 Cup Good Olive Oil
- 2-4 Minced Garlic Cloves
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
Directions for Clams & Mussels:
- Heat a pot large enough to cook the clams and mussels melt butter and heat until bubbly.
- Add garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant. Add white wine and bring to a boil.
- When boiling add the clams and mussels. Squeeze the quartered lemons over the clams and put the rinds in the pot to cook along with the shellfish.
- Heat/steam until all of the clams and mussels have opened; remove shellfish from pot to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile cook pasta al dente. When it’s cooked, drain.
- Pour olive oil into the pot and heat until hot. Add garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant. Add butter and melt.
- Add pasta back to the pot and stir to mix all together. Once pasta is coated with the oil/garlic/butter and heated through turn off the heat and add parsley and Parmesan tossing to thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Serve pasta in a bowl/plate along with the desired amount of shellfish. Spoon liquid from the shellfish over pasta.
- Garnish with additional parsley and/or Parmesan cheese if desired.
“Killer” Marinated Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1-½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1-½ teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- ¾ teaspoons Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- ¾ cups Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cups Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 whole Scallions, Sliced
- 6 whole Tomatoes Cut Into Wedges
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the tomato wedges.
- Add tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Allow to marinate at room temperature for a couple of hours, stirring every now and then.
- Serve with lots of bread to soak up all the yummy marinade. Enjoy!