What spells C-O-M-F-O-R-T to you? We all have one, two or even three (or more) palate pleasing memories that tug at our food-strings. Here’s a true comfort food classic that fills the air with newly baked, savory aromas of home.
Laura’s delectable pie is scrumptious, quick and easy; made from scratch or semi-scratch… brimming with chunks of moist chicken, crunchy carrots, peas, and fresh celery. A divinely baked comfort food classic.
Serve with a crisp salad or coleslaw. Mmmm Completely Comfortable…
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup potatoes-cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms-diced
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts I prefer my “Perfect Pie Crust”recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery.
- Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent, add potatoes and mushrooms, cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot gravy mixture over.
- Cover with top crust, crimp & seal rim and cut away excess dough.
- Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.