These super easy, golden, savory hand pies are very versatile and mix and match, if you will. Intermingle different veggies, use chicken or pork instead of beef, mix up herbs and seasonings to taste, maybe even add a bit of cheese—it’s your call!
However, this is our friend Jana’s version and the flavors, status quo, are phenomenal!
- 1 or 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 white potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 jar of bottled beef or brown gravy
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning, regular or unsalted,
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (any fresh herbs of choice can be used in place of thyme)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pkg pie crust or 2 batches of homemade
- 1 egg slightly beaten for egg wash
- Saute all above ingredients in a large skillet; until ground meat is cooked and veggies are slightly soft. Mix in a small amount of gravy; about 1/4 cup.
- Roll out pie crust in a big circle or several small ones depending on size you want them.
- Fill with about 1/4 cup of meat mixture, roll up like an empanada..or fold, seal & crimp
- Use fork around edges to seal.
- Make several slits on top of each one. Brush with a beaten egg or two.
- Bake at 400* for 30 minutes more or less till brown. Serve with gravy. Jana splits them open and drizzles gravy on them.
4 Comments Add yours
You know that thing when I start literally druelling at my desk? That! My life is clearly incomplete unless I eat one of these TODAY!
Flaky crust and beef, total winner 🙂